Retry for a live version

This page ( is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert

The Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act requires nearly every employer to carry workers’ compensation insurance. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, it is mandatory for your employer to insure workers’ compensation if it employs at least one worker. Your employer should carry insurance even if you are the only worker, a family member and/or work on a seasonal or part-time basis. The law also applies even if you are working in another state or country but are under a job contract in Pennsylvania.

However, your employer may be exempt if all of its employees belong in one or several of the exclusionary categories. Exlucded employee groups include those in the following list:

  • Railroad employees
  • Longshoremen
  • Federal employees
  • Casual employees who work in a casual manner that is not in the regular operations of the business
  • Employees who work from their own homes and handle materials or articles for sale that are provided to them
  • General partners and sole proprietors

Other methods for obtaining compensation for workplace injuries may be available if you fall into one of these categories.

If your employer is required to hold workers’ compensation coverage by law, it must also post a notice in an easily accessible and noticeable place at its primary location of business and sites of employment. This document must include the contact information of the appropriate individual or entity that handles workers’ compensation claims and information. If your employer does not have this information, you can report suspected non-compliance to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.

This information does not constitute legal advice – it is educational only.